Thursday, 2 January 2014

Lizzard Wizzard - Lizzard Wizzard (2013)


There's a lot of great metal coming out of Australia recently, and Lizzard Wizzard is no exception. Their self-titled debut is a slab of stoner-style doom riffage that would please any student of lizzardology.

I like stoner doom with a bit of humour, and there's no shortage of that here, with song titles such as Total Handjob Future and Reptile Dysfunction. Chaaaaarles is a great anthem of despair, with the hammers of guitar punctuated by sarcastic howls, like a fuzzed-up Pink Floyd. Game of Cones is an homage to the title theme of that show, and is actually one of the heaviest songs on the album. The riff around 1min48, in particular, is apocalyptically heavy. I headbanged so hard that my headphones flew off into my monitor. Don't worry, it's okay.

Back to the tunes, and my personal favourite is closing track Dogs Die in Hot Cars. This track is slower than an asthmatic ant carrying some heavy shopping. It's a anvil chained to the ankle of a re-animated brontosaurus that's smoked a little too much weed. It's massive. And with that, I think I should leave this album in the capable ears of you, the listener. You won't regret clicking play on the little widget just below this review.

Available now as a 'name your price' download from http://lizzardwizzard.bandcamp.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment